The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gallegos

I have had a lot of requests to update my blog lately, so here is a quick recap of the past 3 weeks or so...

I started a homestay the week we got back to Monteverde and have been working on my independent research project. I am staying on a farm in the San Luis Valley, which is a little lower in elevation than the rest of Monteverde. It is about a 1.5 hour walk to the Biological Station, but I only have class once or twice a week. My family is very nice and I am loving Costa Rican food :) We watch a lot of TV, so I am learning a lot of Spanish comprehension! I will be here for another week and a half, until we return to the Station on 5/2.

My project is studying the sleeping site selection of Norops lizards ("gallegos" in Spanish) around the farm and surrounding areas. So far I have caught 31 lizards, and my homestay brother, Eduardo (13), has helped me a lot. I use fluorescent powder to track the lizards using UV light at night. My success rate at tracking them has not been phenomenal, but I am getting better. I have also developed some new strategies that seem to help make the process easier. My goal is 50 lizards, so we'll see if I can get that many by next Sunday.

There were fiestas in Monteverde over the past weekend, with food, carnival rides, and bull riding. I learned that here in Costa Rica, bull riding is not a spectator sport...In fact, after the rider is launched from the bull, it is customary for the spectators to run around inside the ring, taunting the bull, somewhat like a tame version of the "Running of the Bulls" in Spain. In an effort to fully immerse myself in the culture, I couldn't not participate! Although as some of the bulls were over 1600 pounds, I decided that my position by the wall was the best place to be :) It was quite an experience!

That's about all that has been going on for the last 3 weeks. It is crazy to think that I will be home in 25 days! The time is going to fly by...

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! i definitely had a video in my mind of you running from a bull! can't wait to hear more! glad your having a great time.

    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete