The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Monday, April 26, 2010

Lluvia (Rain)

Let the wet season begin! As I am writing this I can barely even hear the music in m headphones over the pounding of rain on the metal roof of my house. Tropical rain is pretty intense! It has rained quite a bit lately, and at least once a day for the past 4 days. Today, while I was out searching for lizards, the ominous gray clouds above me must have decided that I was dehydrated, so they shared some of their water with me. I came home quite drenched, but I managed to find one lizard before the downpour began :) My new method of applying the powder I use to track the lizards at night has proven very successful, and I have found all seven lizards I have used it on so far. Even with all the rain, the powder works great!

I am hoping to find more amphibians now that it is getting wetter. I hear more frogs every night and I saw a salamander (Bolitoglossa robusta) D.O.R. yesterday, which means they're becoming active again. I don't even know what I can find around here, but there has to be something!

Only four days of data collection left and I am at 38 lizards. Hopefully the weather will cooperate enough for me to reach my goal of 50, but I am happy with the amount I have been able to find so far. Last day of lecture and Spanish is Friday, then we are back to the station and have to do a lot of work writing up our projects. Three weeks left, but they are going to fly by! But I'm soaking up as much Pura Vida as I can until then :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I was just looking at the list of reptiles and amphibians you have seen so far! Absolutely amazing, and I'm so glad you have had this chance to see so many of these personally, rather than just see their pictures in books. It will be fun to go there with you sometime and have a look around :)

    Can't wait to have you home! We love you!

    ReplyDelete