The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Monday, May 10, 2010

Catching Up

I have to apologize for the lack of updates recently, but the combination of massive amounts of work and no new adventures has made life fairly uninteresting lately...Here's a recap of the last couple of weeks.

We left homestays last Sunday and had our Tropical Diversity final the following day. Our first drafts of our project reports were due on Thursday, and we gave our presentations on Saturday. Most of last week consisted of statistical analysis, interpreting results, and writing. Presenting the results was fun, and I really enjoyed hearing about other students' projects.

As far as my project went, here is a short synopsis of the results:

It is well documented that Norops  lizards perch at different heights during the day depending on their sex and species. According to my results, this stratification is maintained at night, since species and sexes showed significantly different average sleeping site heights. Also, they showed a preference for protected sites, which is different than common observations (which is what made me want to study this in the first place!). The results were very interesting, and if you would like to read about it in more detail, just post a comment with your email and I'll send you the paper :)

We have very little left in terms of school work...A final for our Humans in the Tropics class tomorrow, and a final draft of our paper due on Thursday. We hike to Arenal Volcano on Friday, then head back to San Jose. I'll be back in the States on week from tonight! I'll miss Costa Rica, but I can't wait to be home. Hopefully I'll have a couple more adventures before we leave :)

No comments:

Post a Comment