The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

San Jose

Wow, what an experience so far! Today I walked all around downtown San Jose. I got a couple books and for lunch I went to Mercado Central, a big place with lots of shops.


Neat little park downtown


National Museum that used to be a fortress before
Costa Rica disbanded its army in the 1950s


Arroz con Pollo (Rice and chicken). So incredible!
Too much food for me to finish, all for about 4 bucks :)


I went to the Simon Bolivar Zoo, which was small, but very fun. It was a very peaceful, quiet place, much unlike downtown :)



Cocodrilos (Crocodiles). They look big, but they were
only about 6 feet long...



Chestnut-mandible Toucan



Ocelot



Side-striped Palm Pit Viper. I have a good chance of
seeing one of these in Monteverde! :)



Tortugas Continentales (Land Turtles)



A sneaky little crocodile...


Later in the evening I went to find Taylor’s house. It took about 45 minutes to finally get there, and I asked directions from lots of people along the way, but I made it. It was so nice to see a familiar face! We went out and got some dinner, then he showed me some pictures when we got back. He seems to he seems to be having a good time, and his host family is very nice.



Me and Taylor in his host family's house! So nice to
get to see him :)


I came back to the hostel on a bus, and I finished up some final things before I leave for the farm in the morning. Everything is going well so far. Hasta luego!


2 comments:

  1. So much fun to see the two of you together! It still cracks me up that you are both in Costa Rica...I think you might be a little dsyfunctionally close :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! My Tayta! I'm so glad you guys got to see each other- and speak english! -Nikki

    ReplyDelete