The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The first hike of the trip

Day 3 on the farm has been amazing! I awoke to a breakfast of oranges, bananas, bread with honey, and the best coffee in the world :) I helped clear some land for planting, and cut down the dead branches from some banana trees. They have me do this because I’m tall and can reach the high branches. Probably also because I don’t know how to do anything else :) We took a break for lunch because it was too hot to work.

After lunch I went for a hike with Noire (the mother) and Dario (the youngest). We saw so many cool animals! I caught a few lizards; two Emerald Swifts and one tiny Mora Anole. We also saw the first amphibians of the trip; three little Leaf-litter frogs (Species unidentified, one of which I caught. There were some cool insects along the way, and near the end of the hike we saw a Spider Monkey! It was in a tree just above our heads. Besides getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, it was a great hike…


Emerald Swift #1


Dario with Emerald Swift #2

Leaf-litter frog (Species unidentified)

Little Mora Anole (Norops tropidolepis)

So tiny!

Awesome leaf insect

VERY blurry picture of a spider monkey in a tree

It has been very fun getting to speak in Spanish so much. It is amazing how fast you learn when you use it almost all day long! The family is also very patient and helps me when I don’t know the right words :) It is awesome to get to experience another culture so different from my own, and yet still feel connected to them…I love it here!

1 comment:

  1. I want to see pictures! Especially of the Spider Monkey (oh, and you of course). And are leaf-litter frogs the ones that just look like piles of dead leaves? How do you manage to find them? It always amazes me the way you can spot critters I never even notice. Well anyway--have fun and we will look forward to better internet service so you can load up a bunch of pictures!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete