The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Sunday, January 31, 2010

El Bosque de Dario (Dario's Forest)

Today I went on a hike with Noire through “El Bosque de Dario.” All of the kids in the family have their own forest! How cool is that? And these are not small pieces of land either. Dario’s forest contains about 100 acres of land! I think it is an awesome way for the parents to pass down this way of life, this way to live in harmony with nature. The kids are allowed to do whatever they want with their forests. Dario is the youngest child in the family, and he says he wants to be a biologist. He wants to keep the forest as it is so it can be explored now and in the future.

In the forest we found lots of frogs :) We found at least 2 different species, and a little baby frog that was literally about 8 millimeters long!


Leaf-litter frog, different species I think...They
said it looks like it has a backpack on :)

Bonus points if you can find this frog...Literally
no more than 1cm long, max!

Awesome butterfly (mariposa) with transparent
wings! (This picture is for Mrs. Stovall)


In the afternoon I juiced about 100 oranges…After that Dario and I caught another Mora Anole. This one was an adult male with a bright red dewlap. So far I have seen an adult male and female, and a very young male. All three looked so different in coloration, but the dark stripe between the eyes is indicative of this species. I love this place :)

Male Mora Anole (Norops tropidolepis)

This is my favorite picture of the trip so far. I
love seeing how interested he is in the lizard...
He's going to be a great biologist someday!

1 comment: