The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Sunday, February 28, 2010

La Iglesia de Los Amigos

Today was the first Sunday that I have been able to go to church since I have been here, so I was very excited to go! Gracy and I didn't know where to go, but we knew there was a Quaker (Friends) church in Monteverde, so we decided to check it out. I had never been to a Quaker service before, but it is a bit different than what I am used to...Instead of having a sermon, their services are simply a time of silence, during which members of the congregation can stand and share thoughts. Even though it was different than my experience, it was very nice to be there with the body of Christ.

During the service, one man stood up and shared a story about a stray dog that he helped nurse back to health. He said that many people told him that it was a bad idea, but he persisted. The comment he made that stood out to me was this (rough quotation): "The more you show your love for something, the more other people will begin to love it." Eventually, the dog recovered, and it is now happy and healthy. 

This story made me think about what Steve Irwin once said...He believed that if he could help someone connect to wildlife and  love it, then they would care enough to conserve and support it. He lived his life so passionately so that others would see the love he had for animals in hopes that they too would grow to love them. I hope that in some way my passion and love for reptiles an amphibians will help you to appreciate them as well...

1 comment:

  1. I love the new updates! It always helps to see pictures of the people and places you are experiencing. Do you remember we went to a Friends church once on sabbatical? It was with the family on Long Island (the ones with the two boys that were dressed just like you and Matthew! I love that picture..). Actually it may not have been Friends, but they had that same kind of service you described. I miss seeing you at Pathways on Sundays, but I'm glad you made it to church today!

    ReplyDelete