The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

D.O.R. (Dead on road)

After a whole week of searching the farm and forest, I finally found a snake in the middle of the road! Unfortunately, it had been run over by a car just moments before we walked by, but it was still a very interesting find! It’s very obvious where it gets its common name of Fire-bellied Snake (Liophis epinephalus). It was a very beautiful snake, and I was sad I didn’t find it alive, but now I can say I found a snake here, and the Mora’s won’t feel bad that I didn’t see one :)


Fire-bellied Snake (Liophis epinephalus)

You can see where they get their name...

Close-up of the body. Very interesting combination
of colors with green, black, orange, and a little
off-white on the bottom. Beautiful snake!

No comments:

Post a Comment