The journeys of an overenthusiastic amateur herpetologist through the rainforests, deserts, and swamps of the world in search of any interesting reptiles and amphibians he can find...

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Orientation Hikes

Today we hiked the trails around the station so we could get oriented to the region. We didn’t see very many interesting things, but we did get to hike along the continental divide. It is up at about 1800 meters, and you can see both the Pacific and Atlantic slopes of the country. It is a cool place to go for sunrise and sunset I hear…

Of course, it wouldn’t be a good hike without a reptile :) I caught a little anole at the top of the ridge that is the same species as the ones I caught at Armonia Ambiental (Norops tropidolepis). I didn’t know they ranged this far North, so it was cool to see a species I already knew. A nice first day getting to know the forest in Monteverde!


If you remember from my earlier posts from
Armonia Ambiental, the line between the eyes
is characteristic of this species :)

PS-I caught a Cane Toad (Bufo/Chaunus marinus) outside the station last night too...These things are everywhere!

This is actually a very small one...They are Costa
Rica's largest amphibian and can grow up to
about 8 inches long! They're crazy :)

Not too happy being caught...

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Lizard Hunter! This is Lindy Bliss - one of Genieva's Grandmothers! We had dinner all together as a family last night and Genieva was telling me about your wonderful opportunity in Costa Rica. This morning she sent me your blog site. I have been thourally enjoying reading your blog and seeing the photos. I am also a lover of reptiles & amphibians - though do not have the knowledge you have! It would be great to get together with you and Genieva when you get back! God Bless You! Grandma Lindy

    ReplyDelete